Micah 6 Community: The House
If you are just now coming in on the conversation, please check out the preceding posts leading up to this one, here.
The phrase “Intentional Community” is full of hipness and ambiguity. I will try to clear up some of the vagueness about what we are going there to do.
None of us will be exclusively employed by Micah 6 Community. We plan to have our own jobs and be working on our own pursuits. This will not only free up more of the finances coming into Micah 6 Community, but will keep us engaged in the city and help us to better empathize with the people we live around.
However, through various business ventures and community activities we do hope to be an organization that leads to job creation for Pontiac residents who are in need.
“Community”: The House
Our team plans to live together in a hard hit and poor part of the city. We will live together in that space for the foreseeable future. We will do several things in that house that we believe will help to create a better organization as well as opportunities to engage with our neighbors:
- We will carve out one night a week that is house-members only for diner. This will give the three of us an opportunity to discuss issues in the house openly as well as discuss various projects and initiatives over a meal.
- We will carve out one night a week where it will be considered mandatory to invite someone to dinner.
- We will carve out one night a week where we will watch popular films and discuss them as a group. These will be open to anyone who is interested.
- We will give a portion of our finances back into a general house fund that will go toward house upkeep as well as needs in our neighborhood.
- We will begin a regular meeting time where we come together to discuss the Bible and our walks with God. This will be the primitive version of house church.
People living in the house will be required to put in a certain number of volunteer hours working at an area organization every week. This will hopefully put us in contact with a greater community of people in need and a network of those who are providing that assistance. We want to be known as an organization that pours not only into our neighborhood, but into other organizations who are doing the hand and feet work of Jesus in Pontiac.
As soon as we are all in the house, we will begin a regular weekly gathering that we can begin inviting people to as God reveals them to us and us to them. We too hope to be a place that brings people in for us to provide a service, then leads to a greater conversation about why we want to serve them. Over-time, those people will then be able to go out and start faith communities of their own. Exactly how we believe that can work will be broken down in the next section: “Missiology.”
We have applied for our 501(c)(3) status to enable easier giving for those who are compelled to give, we also have several business models that we would like to implement in the years to come.